Happy early Mother's Day! Being a mom myself, I am sure I am not the only one who would say how hard it can be. I think sometimes we just need a place to come clean, and be real. So I just wanted to get a couple things off of my chest about how I really feel about what comes with being a mom. (Hopefully you know I am joking with some of this. 😋)
1. I say "shut up" to my kids under my breath sometimes, even when I have told them not to use those words. Sometimes I just can't handle the crazy!
2. Most of the time I feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants with this parenting stuff.
3. I'm probably not what you would call a "comforting" mom. I honestly have to work at it. Usually I just want to tell my kids to get up and brush it off, and you'll be fine.
4. It can be so hard not to compare myself to other moms. Especially with social media. I see others who seem like they are doing things so much better than me. Why can't I be like that?
5. I'm not gonna lie, I yell. I usually forget when I am in public, and look like the crazy frazzled mom I really am. Clearly my patience needs work.
6. My kids have worn me down over the years. Things I would have sworn I would never do as a mom, I probably totally do now. The more kids you have, the more tired you get.
7. I am a control freak. There are instances where my husband doesn't help me with the kids, and it is probably because of my own doing. I know how to do it the way I want it, and of course no one does it better than me.
8. I love to know what is going on with my kids, but sometimes I just don't want to listen. Especially when it is a topic I have no interest in what-so-ever. Usually I just ride it out, but I could go without knowing more about Minecraft.
9. I swear my kids say "mom" every 2 seconds. Pretty sure they don't need to. Somehow it's never "dad" even when I am in the shower or bathroom.
10. I hate crafts. I have never been good at art. I don't try to be either. Coloring or playdough is about as much as we do. Although we do have sidewalk chalk and water colors around here too.
11. I love my kids, but I am not a fan of baking with them. I love to cook/bake, and I prefer to do it myself. My patience level to teach them is sometimes not there. I'd rather just do it myself and get it done.
12. I'd love to say I have thick skin when my kids say unkind things to me, but I have to admit it does hurt my feelings sometimes. It can feel like such an unappreciated role as a mom. And I do want to know they are thankful for the things I do.
With all this being said, good and bad, I wouldn't trade being a mom for anything. My kids are the best job I have ever had. I can't imagine life without them. They push me to my limit, but they have helped me grow in so many ways.
Jesus, thank you for all moms and mom figures out there. Give us wisdom on how to do our roles well. Thank you that you never leave us alone in this, and show us the blessing we have raising our kids. Amen.